So I recently started recycling and am now completely obsessed with it. I can't believe that I haven't been doing it for years!! The thought of taking the time to take your trash to a bin somewhere in your house or on your porch in my case, just turned me off. Now I know that I was just being super lazy!! It all started when a few weeks back at a youth event, Danna asked all the kids to throw their water bottles into a bag for recycling (that she set out) instead of in the regular trash. We we're kind of kidding her about it because she kept on yelling out "Don't forget to recycle your bottle!!" Then we started talking about it and I still thought it sounded like way to much work. But then I started thinking how terrible it is that because of my laziness towards recycling I'm contributing to the overflow of our landfills. So I took 3 bins that I already had laying around the house and set them up on the back porch. One for paper, plastic and aluminum and I have been totally committed since then. Even my kids and the daycare kids are a part of it. They take turns carrying out cans or cardboard boxes, etc. to the recycling bins. They think it's such a special job. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total "green freak", but recycling is something so easy that everyone can do. Granville, on the other hand, thinks I'm a psycho because I'm so serious about it. I'll admit that threatening to cancel his newspaper subscription if he didn't start bringing the paper home from work to be recycled might have been a bit much, but come on, what a waste!!! Anyway, I just thought I'd share and hopefully encourage anyone that is a non-recycler to think about becoming one. Like Danna said, it's really just a matter of being a good steward of God's beautiful Earth.....
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Recycling Fever
So I recently started recycling and am now completely obsessed with it. I can't believe that I haven't been doing it for years!! The thought of taking the time to take your trash to a bin somewhere in your house or on your porch in my case, just turned me off. Now I know that I was just being super lazy!! It all started when a few weeks back at a youth event, Danna asked all the kids to throw their water bottles into a bag for recycling (that she set out) instead of in the regular trash. We we're kind of kidding her about it because she kept on yelling out "Don't forget to recycle your bottle!!" Then we started talking about it and I still thought it sounded like way to much work. But then I started thinking how terrible it is that because of my laziness towards recycling I'm contributing to the overflow of our landfills. So I took 3 bins that I already had laying around the house and set them up on the back porch. One for paper, plastic and aluminum and I have been totally committed since then. Even my kids and the daycare kids are a part of it. They take turns carrying out cans or cardboard boxes, etc. to the recycling bins. They think it's such a special job. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total "green freak", but recycling is something so easy that everyone can do. Granville, on the other hand, thinks I'm a psycho because I'm so serious about it. I'll admit that threatening to cancel his newspaper subscription if he didn't start bringing the paper home from work to be recycled might have been a bit much, but come on, what a waste!!! Anyway, I just thought I'd share and hopefully encourage anyone that is a non-recycler to think about becoming one. Like Danna said, it's really just a matter of being a good steward of God's beautiful Earth.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yeah Rachel!! I am a recycler too, and it drives TJ absolutely nuts!! I have a ton of cardboard all the time, and I try to do plastic and other things too. I need to be more organized about it and maybe TJ will appreciate it more. The kids love to help too. Ethan especially knows what needs to go in the tubs. Yeah for us!!
ReplyDelete